The plant itself is definitively not as great at we saw in other places. Located in the heart of Pointe-Saint-Charles neighborhood of Montreal, this two storey building has no longer the cachet of its heyday. While neighboring buildings are...
I was asked to photograph it (legally) by the Trust group thats restoring the island,which was a life long dream of mine.
The history of the island began in 1900 when Francis Bannerman purchased the island. Located in the Hudson River near Beacon, New York, he had built the castle as a Arsenal storage, for the weapony company he ran, mostly from New York City.
Unfortunately, the construction ceased at Bannerman's death in 1918. On August 1920, 200 tons of shells and powder exploded in an ancillary structure, destroying a portion of the complex. Bannerman's sales of military weapons to civilians declined during the early 20th century as a result of state and federal legislation. After the sinking of the ferryboat Pollepel, which had served the island, in a storm in 1950, the Arsenal and island were essentially left vacant. The island and buildings were bought by New York State in 1967, after the old military merchandise had been removed, and tours of the island were given in 1968. However, on August 8, 1969, fire devastated the Arsenal, and the roofs and floors were destroyed. The island was placed off-limits to the public.
From May to October, the site is now open to public. Available tours consist of guided walking tours on the island with access either by passenger tour boat or as part of a guided kayak excursion. More details on the official website.
The plant itself is definitively not as great at we saw in other places. Located in the heart of Pointe-Saint-Charles neighborhood of Montreal, this two storey building has no longer the cachet of its heyday. While neighboring buildings are...
Built in 1930, the Wellington tower has ceased operations in 2000. Despite the years that have passed and graffiti artists who came to express their art, the structure of the old tower is still ok. When it was in operation, that's where that were...
It takes a lot of motivation to get to this old mine and foundry abandoned since 2002. For it must be admitted that we are rather far from everything in this distant municipality of 650 inhabitants. Moreover, if this village exists, it is above...
Used as a snow dump, the site of the former Francon quarry (now known as the Saint-Michel quarry) looks like a huge crater of greenery in the heart of Montreal. This area covers approximately 20% (17% to be exact) of the district of Saint-Michel...