It's over 92 years of industrial history that ended in 2004 when the Spexel factory was closed down. The story of this plant start in 1912 when is built the paper mill, which took the name of Howard Smith Paper Mill. Over the following years, the...
I was asked to photograph it (legally) by the Trust group thats restoring the island,which was a life long dream of mine.
The history of the island began in 1900 when Francis Bannerman purchased the island. Located in the Hudson River near Beacon, New York, he had built the castle as a Arsenal storage, for the weapony company he ran, mostly from New York City.
Unfortunately, the construction ceased at Bannerman's death in 1918. On August 1920, 200 tons of shells and powder exploded in an ancillary structure, destroying a portion of the complex. Bannerman's sales of military weapons to civilians declined during the early 20th century as a result of state and federal legislation. After the sinking of the ferryboat Pollepel, which had served the island, in a storm in 1950, the Arsenal and island were essentially left vacant. The island and buildings were bought by New York State in 1967, after the old military merchandise had been removed, and tours of the island were given in 1968. However, on August 8, 1969, fire devastated the Arsenal, and the roofs and floors were destroyed. The island was placed off-limits to the public.
From May to October, the site is now open to public. Available tours consist of guided walking tours on the island with access either by passenger tour boat or as part of a guided kayak excursion. More details on the official website.
It's over 92 years of industrial history that ended in 2004 when the Spexel factory was closed down. The story of this plant start in 1912 when is built the paper mill, which took the name of Howard Smith Paper Mill. Over the following years, the...
So you might think the old Conveyor dock's tower straight out of the fourteenth century, but you're wrong. The pier on which it is located was built in 1956-1957 and was one of the last marine works at the port of Montreal before it does change...
This is one of the oldest stationery in Quebec. Founded in 1851 by a american businessman, the company is composed of a half-dozen buildings on a fifteen hectares site. Saying that the site is large is an understatement, not only because it has a...
Abandoned since December 1993, the former incinerator des Carrières, known as the incinerator # 3 is now partly used as a warehouse by the City of Montreal. It is also one of the few places where there have power in a portion of the building....