Jewel of Quebec's heritage, the seigniorial manor was built in 1795. Expanded several times over the years, it was used for several purposes. From 1967 to 2000 it was used as a high school and later, Quebec police organization “Sûreté du Québec”...
Located in the parish of Alcazaba about one kilometer from the town of Elvas in Portugal, the fortress Our Lady of Grace, better known by the Portuguese as the Forte de Nossa Senhora da Graça or Forte Conde de Lippe, this is a imposing building dedicated to the protection of the country. While the Spanish border is only a stone's throw at the east of the city, King Joseph ordered its construction in 1763 on the Mount Grace hill, where stood the ancient chapel of Our Lady of Grace. This is the perfect place, as this hill is the highest point in the region. Its construction will last nearly thirty years and thousands of men will be mobilized to build this fortress. But their work was not in vain, because the fortress will be the privileged witness of many battles that will take place.
Composed of three lines of defense and considered as a masterpiece of military architecture of the eighteenth century, it will withstand the onslaught of Spanish troops during the War of the Oranges (1801), the French bombardment of General Soult during the Peninsular War (1811) and many more.
It was also used as a military prison for several years. Now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the fortress requires more work to maintain its original charm. The site is now abandoned for several years.
Here is a video made by Richard Moura about the fortress of Our Lady of Grace.
Jewel of Quebec's heritage, the seigniorial manor was built in 1795. Expanded several times over the years, it was used for several purposes. From 1967 to 2000 it was used as a high school and later, Quebec police organization “Sûreté du Québec”...
Abandoned, barricaded and destroyed at the south entry of the Lachine Canal, the tunnel Wellington currently offers lack of interest for urban exploration (can't go inside).
Back in 1990, it permanently ceases its activities with the...
This domain’s history is rooted in the nineteenth century, back when industrialists in Canada are mostly English or Scottish men. At that time, French-Canadian people, who form the majority of the population, do not participate in the economic...
Built in the woods near the hamlet of Mill Village, the Teleglobe station is no longer the shadow of what it once was. Built in 1964 at a cost of $ 9 million, the vast complex was part of an extensive satellite program for the transmission of...