Monkeys castle
The abandoned Monkeys castle

The abandoned Monkeys castle

The abandoned Monkeys castle

Vestige of the seventeenth century

Haute-Normandie, France

Listed historical monument, the Monkeys castle is a beautiful mansion built in the seventeenth century. Its name comes from the frescoes on the walls that depict monkeys. It is also known as the Madness Castle and  the Bettor Castle. Located in a small town of less than 400 people, we will not mention his real name as well as its geographical location to protect it against vandals who have repeatedly visited the castle.

Abandoned since 2012, the Monkeys castle quickly became famous on the internet. Its architecture and staircase of great beauty have made it a popular place for urbexers.

Lately, it has even fallen prey to taggers who came inside to paint their mark. Following an outcry against this act filmed and broadcast on the Internet, a urberxer called Taz Dark Photography (www.facebook.com/DarkTazPhotography) came inside with a gallon of paint to remove this affront to this historic building. Saluted by urbex community, of course.

Related content

Abandoned houses in Gaspesie
Gaspésie, Quebec (Canada)

Beyond the tourist beauties we are used to see when we visit the Gaspesie, it can be found hundreds of abandoned houses that show those old days when the region had not yet suffered the wrath of the rural exodus.

If the economy of the...

The old parochial cinema
Gaspésie, Quebec (Canada)

In 1937, we are in the golden age of cinema and in these Gaspé lands, the pastor of this small coastal village is looking for a way to finance the modern church to which he dreams. Convincing parishioners to provide wood and time to build a small...

The old jail of the county

Project ideas abound for this old provincial jail today abandoned. The building has been closed in 2001 following the construction of a larger and more modern correctional center. More than a dozen projects have been launched in the air: a...

The Negro Community Center
Montréal, Quebec (Canada)
The origins of the building

Despite the many changes made to the building by the Negro community center, it is clear that the original building was a church. Plans are signed by Sidney Rose Badgley (1850-1917), an architect from Ste.Catherine,...