We are a few months away from the twentieth century. Tuberculosis remains a scourge that we can't control or even contain. The sanatorium which opened in 1899 has two missions. If the first is to treat patients, the second aims to focus on...
Completed in 1883 and funded by a local industrialist, this orphanage for boys has been built during a era marked by poverty and many children abandoned and left to their own end. Launched in 1875, the project was intended as a gift to the city by a rich man. Driven by his Christian faith, he even include his son and nephew in the project. This is also these two men who gave their name to the institution.
Although the establishment was open to all religious denominations, only the Catholic religion was taught, which made several lay people very unhappy with this situation.
Overall, there was about fifty places for the orphans. Unfortunately, despite the gift of the building (with a donation of a few thousand francs), the property was in deficit year after year. Already at the end of the 1930s, the city is forced to subsidize the orphanage to keep it open.
The 50s have been marked as an important step for the establishing. The orphans were gradually replaced by children from disadvantaged backgrounds (separation, divorce, etc.). In fact, there were about six or seven orphans for the fifty kids hosted in the building.
On March 16, 1953, the orphanage closed its doors, while its financial situation became catastrophic.
Ten years later, a new vocation for the establishment is found. The premises are then adapted for a new clientele: the disabled for who, specialized services were given. They occupy the premises for more than fifty years before moving to a new and modern building, leaving behind a dilapidated building. We are in 2006 and it is from this year that the site will be permanently abandoned.
While the structure is still in good shape, a housing project was announced last fall. In total, we are talking about 61 condos and more than 17 houses. While work should begin in spring 2014, for the moment, nothing has moved.
We are a few months away from the twentieth century. Tuberculosis remains a scourge that we can't control or even contain. The sanatorium which opened in 1899 has two missions. If the first is to treat patients, the second aims to focus on...
Located in the countryside near the village of Sainte-Clotilde-de-Horton, the Notre-Dame de la Chesnaie house is abandoned since 2002. Over the past decade, it was a real festival of vandalism inside the building. Graffiti, destruction, partial...
We are in 1887, almost four years after the founding of this municipality of the Laurentians region, north of Montreal. Arrivals from the Saint-Laurent city after four days of driving in a barouche, two Marianite nuns from Sainte-Croix have the...
* * * * *
UPDATE - Message from the owner: this facility is no longer abandoned and will be a regularly used Airsoft field for local groups that someone could be injured. This means that anyone coming on to the property to take photographs...