The Abandoned Aerodrome
The Abandoned Aerodrome

The Abandoned Aerodrome

The Abandoned Aerodrome

Vestige of the Civil War of Spain

Calzadilla de los Barros, Spain

Located a few kilometers from the municipality of Calzadilla de los Barros and its 850 inhabitants, the abandoned aerodrome dates from before the Spanish Civil War which took place from 1936 to 1939 with the victory of General Franco.

It was also bombed on 5 August 1936 by the national army of Franco, about three weeks after the beginning of hostilities.

After the war, the place was occupied by farmers until the end of the 1960s. Only the buildings remained intact, the rest having given way to vines.

Few information is available on the Internet about this place frozen in time, except that narratives of the elders separated by the war who remember these planes taking off from the base to go bombard the city of Merida.

Related content

Spexel, the Beauharnois abandoned plant
Beauharnois, Quebec (Canada)

It's over 92 years of industrial history that ended in 2004 when the Spexel factory was closed down. The story of this plant start in 1912 when is built the paper mill, which took the name of Howard Smith Paper Mill. Over the following years, the...

The old and abandoned mine

Heavily damaged by the time, the old copper mine is closed for several years. While its lower floors are completely flooded with muddy and stagnant water, the ground floor was, meanwhile, weakened by a sedimentary rock ceiling that collapsed in...

Northern View
Montréal, Quebec (Canada)

Used as a snow dump, the site of the former Francon quarry (now known as the Saint-Michel quarry) looks like a huge crater of greenery in the heart of Montreal. This area covers approximately 20% (17% to be exact) of the district of Saint-Michel...

Cayadutta Tanning
Gloversville, New York (United States)

Located in Gloversville near Albany NY, this abandoned factory is ready to crumble. Before 1870, Gloversville was a small village called Stump City. When it became an incorporated village in 1853, the name was changed to Gloversville due to the...