Let's be honest, against the millions of dollars in investments made at Mont-Tremblant Resort located only a few kilometers away, Gray Rocks Hotel was doomed to a certain death. The infrastructure of the aging 103 years old hotel coupled with...
Abandoned, barricaded and destroyed at the south entry of the Lachine Canal, the tunnel Wellington currently offers lack of interest for urban exploration (can't go inside).
Back in 1990, it permanently ceases its activities with the official opening of the Wellington bridge located next to the deceased tunnel. Built in the 1930s to give work, among other things, to the thousands of unemployed montrealers, problems came very quickly about this tunnel. With separate lanes for trams, cars and pedestrians, the tunnel has saturated quickly. Considering the expensive costs for expansion or renovation, city planners in Montreal are quickly came to the conclusion that a new bridge would be more useful.
With the interest of entrepreneurs for this area, called Griffintown, many of these abandoned places or in poor condition have been, or will be sacrificed in the name of progress. Will rise on their ruins new condominium towers and other modern buildings. This former working-class district will soon have only his name as memory.
Thus, the former Horse Palace stables will have to find a new home, and it doesn't matter if it is 150-year history in Griffintown. Ditto for many other buildings that the city has agreed to sacrifice. This includes, as you probably suspect, the Wellington tunnel.
Devimco, the company who has a stranglehold on this 1.1 million square feet territory, has agreed to maintain only 20 buildings for which it was judged that their heritage value was large enough to be spared demolition cranes .
Let's be honest, against the millions of dollars in investments made at Mont-Tremblant Resort located only a few kilometers away, Gray Rocks Hotel was doomed to a certain death. The infrastructure of the aging 103 years old hotel coupled with...
Named after General Isaac Brock died at the Battle of Queestown October 13, 1812 (conflict between Canada and the United States, where the British army crushed the Americans), the tunnel was built between 1889 and 1895. Known as the tunnel...
His nickname is coming from the stuffed boar's head that adorns the entrance to the castle. Real little jewel of northern France, the secrecy surrounding its location still preserves the vandals who have already done so much damage elsewhere....
Located at the north of Baltimore, this Beaux-Arts influenced Gregorian Revival style by N.Y. architects Boring and Tilton buildings was one of the oldest school of Maryland before its closure in the 90s. The 330 acre campus is constituted of...