It takes a lot of motivation to get to this old mine and foundry abandoned since 2002. For it must be admitted that we are rather far from everything in this distant municipality of 650 inhabitants. Moreover, if this village exists, it is above...
Used as a snow dump, the site of the former Francon quarry (now known as the Saint-Michel quarry) looks like a huge crater of greenery in the heart of Montreal. This area covers approximately 20% (17% to be exact) of the district of Saint-Michel and is composed of mature trees and a large lake of black water, inheritance of the dirty snow of Montreal.
The history of the career dates back to the early twentieth century and was known as the Dupré career, owned by the National Quarrie. They extricated out tons of stone for nearly 60 years.
In 1980, the operations will cease and the land will be sold four years later to the City of Montreal. They will use it exclusively as snow waste deposit. The rest of the site will be abandoned.
In 2005, the city informs the public of its intention to dispose of the Francon quarry site. Therefore, some projects like a Camp sites and a shopping center will begin to make themselves known. If the first will be rejected fastly, the second will face stiff opposition from citizens. To face the opposition, some consultation and citizens committees will be set up. During this time, the selling price will be set at ten million dollars.
After several years of negotiations and various meetings, the City of Montreal finally announced that the project presented by SmartCentres, a Canadian company specializing in the development of shopping malls, is one that will be retained.
Work should start in 2012 (but nothing is started a year and a half later) and it must include the development of a shopping center and a thematic green space in the Saint-Michel quarry.
It takes a lot of motivation to get to this old mine and foundry abandoned since 2002. For it must be admitted that we are rather far from everything in this distant municipality of 650 inhabitants. Moreover, if this village exists, it is above...
More than a century of expertise in the construction of mega steel structure that represents hundreds of projects from coast to coast. The company's story began in 1879 in Toronto, where a group of businessmen sniff a bargain following the...
Located a few kilometers from the municipality of Calzadilla de los Barros and its 850 inhabitants, the abandoned aerodrome dates from before the Spanish Civil War which took place from 1936 to 1939 with the victory of General Franco.
It...
We are talking about over 5000 years of mining history in this area. The landscape has been changed forever, and it looks at some places like a alien planet where red, yellow, purple mingle with green, gray and ocher.
The ten abandoned...